Thursday, January 26, 2012

Poora Naam... Vijay Dinanath Chauhan

If you love your mother's cooking, (and should you be naive enough to compare) then even a meal cooked by a 3 Michelin Star chef will seem "poor" "not-up-to-the-mark".  And that is people may not like the movie.

To all those I say this, watch Scarface.

Agneepath is, to say the least, a brilliant movie.  It is well directed, with very strong performances, a background score that gets your pulse racing, slick dialogues, Katrina Kaif, and brilliant actions sequences!

But what is left me with, were moments that give you goosebumps.  The final fight (Of course!!), Vijay's rescue of his sister, the delivery of THE dialogue of the movie, and the lynching scene.  I don't know about the technical aspects of movie-making, but I think they must have all been spot on, because the movie was a total audio-visual treat.

Its 3 hours long, the normal length of Hindi movies at one time.  And it was perfect!  The movie pulls you into its world, makes you a participant in its emotions, has you rooting for Vijay to win, wishing him to rise up, to vanquish evil.  Very old fashioned, very Hindi "masala" move, very very Indian.  I LOVE IT!

A lot though has to be said about the action.  You feel every punch, almost hear the bones cracking, and flinch with every blow.  The sight of Vijay lifting Kancha over his head, I actually leaped for joy in the theatre.  But my favourite scene is when Vijay rescues his sister.  We have forgotten to make action scenes like that anymore.  Call me foolish, but I much prefer these to the highly orchestrated, Hollywood types which we have come to accept as the gold standard now-a-days.  This is beautiful chaos.

I watched this movie sitting in the corner seat of the first row.  And I wont have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment